Recap of April Meeting (April 27, 2006)
Thanks to Julie for making notes for this section of the newsletter. Karen put her new paper rush coiling skills to good use and made six pins for coworkers for Administrative professionally Day. Gill was coerced into agreeing to bring her antique quilt to show and tell next time ... she paid just $145 for it, and it was recently appraised at $700.
Karen showed a beautiful dimensional quilt as an example of ribbon embroidery and got everyone enthused for class. She suggests the reference book "Elegant Stitches" by Judith Baker Montano, the "queen" of ribbon embroidery. Judith also has a video out.
The group agreed to hold their regular meeting at the [Menasha Public] Library in July (program tentatively scheduled as a work night) and to have a potluck/mess night at Katy's on a day to be determined. Bring your calendars to the May meeting.
Reminders and Announcements
The Wisconsin Public Television and Sewing with Nancy(R) Quilt Expo in Madison will be held September 14-16, 2006. Visit www.quiltexpo.com.
The Beaver Dam Area Arts Association is sponsoring an art quilt and other fiber art exhibit entitled "Life's a Stitch." The show runs through June 11 at the Seippel Homestead and Center for the Arts. Admission is free!
Our 2006 Challenge is to interpret our purpose statement in fabric! 9"x12" limit : [See purpose statement in header at the top of this page.]
We will have a display case at the library for the month of July. Plan to display your challenge piece and perhaps another small piece. We'll be looking for a rough count in May so we can prepare hanging equipment.
May Meeting (Thursday May 25, 2006) at Menasha Public Library
Fabulous Fiber Exchange! Demos and play time! Bring fibers, ribbons, or other bits that you would like to trade with others. The graduates of Francie Ginnochio's Fiber Play class will share what we know.
Supply List - bring what you have on hand. Don't buy anything!
- Threads (including short pieces) ribbons, tiny scraps, yarns, loose fibers, Angelina Fiber
- Sheer fabrics like tulle, chiffon
- Background or foundation fabric
- Leftover Tyvek envelopes
- Fusible webbing (Stitch Witchery, Steam-a-Seam, Heat-n-Bond Lite, anything goes!)
- Parchment paper or non-stick Teflon pressing sheet
- Iron and ironing surface (we'll share)
Sewing machines are not needed.
- May25, 2006 : May Meeting 6:00. Fabulous Fiber Exchange.
- June 29, 2006 : June Meeting, 6:00. Challenge Night!
- July date TBD : Potluck and mess-making at Katy's House
- July 27, 2006 : July Meeting, 6:00. Work Night.
- August 31, 2006 : August Meeting, 6:00. thread Scarves with Mary.